This inn known by the name and sign of the Wheatsheaf, was built in the final year of George IV, in 1830, on the site of an earlier ale house, also known as the Wheatsheaf.
This earlier structure which dates back to the reign of Charles II, was first licenced in 1786, to one Samuel Loggins, called a common beer seller of Maidstone. He occupied the house, by the terms of a lease as early as 1778, but is described in that year as a carpenter and furniture maker. In the same year that a licence was issued to him, he called himself a carpenter and brewer. The licence, permitted him to demand payment for any ales and ciders he wished to distribute, but forbade him from selling or allowing anyone to consume ales on the premises between the hours of divine service.
The property at this date was owned by one Thomas Hackwood esq. of the parish of Boughton, near Maidstone, in whose family the property had remained as part of an estate which included many other properties and lands, in Maidstone, Suton and Boughton, for over a century passing down through descendancy, until at length it passed to the aforementioned Thomas Hackwood, in whose hands it remained until his death in 1803, where after it passed by the terms of his will to his son Geoffrey. The keeper of the house which at this date, still only bore an ale licence, was one Joseph Hutchins, beer seller.
Joseph Hutchins remained at the house until his death in 1821, where after his widow Emily succeeded him, staying until the year 1829, when, in that year she left, one Thomas Barrow, beer seller, applied for the licence, but was refused on the grounds that the structure, which had fallen into a state of dilapidation, was considered unsafe. In that same year, after a period of closure, the building was demolished and construction began on the present building.
The work, which was undertook by one Jonathan Tills, builder of Maidstone, was completed in March 1830. The property was acquired by one Walter Leny brewer of Maidstone and registered under the title of the Wheatsheaf. A full liquor licence was issued to one Eli Twiddy, tavern keeper of Maidstone.
Eli Twiddy, kept and remained at the Wheatsheaf until 1841, when in that year he was succeeded by Thomas Shodden, who apart from his title as tavern keeper was also called a corn merchant. He left in 1845 to open a corn and seed store on Gabriel's Hill, Maidstone. He was succeeded by George Dennett, tavern keeper of Ashford, who stayed at the house for thirteen years.
In 1858, one George Brown, innkeeper, took over the tenancy. Brown had previously kept the "King's Arms" at Boxley, and during his stay here at the Wheatsheaf he conducted a small removal business from the premises. In 1875 he handed over to John Lashmar Field. He stayed until 1881, when in that year one John H. Hickmott took over. It was his father John senior, who had taken over the tenancy of the "King's Arms" at Boxley, from George Brown, and at this date his mother Harriet ran that inn.
In 1890 he handed over to William Sidney Isaac local horse dealer, who held the tenancy until 1907, when in that year he was succeeded by Arthur Perrin, and he in 1913 by Harry F. King, who held it for the duration of World War I, to be succeeded in 1918 by Oliver F. Leigh, he in 1923 by Charles J. Moss and he in 1936 by George H. Finch, who held it for the duration of World War II staying until 1947, when one Robert Ernest Arnold Shaw took over. He was succeeded in 1964 by Carl Anthony Donovan and he in 1966 by Arthur William Fiddy who stayed until 1984 when the present keeper Rossa Kenny took over.